Get our app
Account Sign up Sign in

Property title transfer

Access legal documents that can help you transfer your property.


Transfer ownership of real estate FAQs

  • How do I transfer property to an LLC?

    Some choose to transfer property to an LLC to help limit their personal liability, especially if they own commercial or rental properties. Those who own multiple properties usually form an LLC for each property to protect the properties from each other in liable situations. If you have not yet formed an LLC, we can help you Start an LLC. If you are carrying a mortgage on the property, the first step to beginning the process is to contact your lender. Your lender can guide you through the process of transferring the property and the associated mortgage. Once the process is complete, you'll want to update your active lease agreements with your tenants.

  • When do I use a Quitclaim Deed?

    A Quitclaim Deed is most often used when both parties know each other well since it provides minimal protection for the party receiving the "interest." A Quitclaim Deed documents that someone has given up interest in a property. In most cases, the property is owned outright. It can be used to transfer property from:

    • One spouse to a spouse or ex-spouse
    • One family member to another as a gift
    • An individual or entity to a trust
    • One name to another after a legal name change
    • An individual to a business or other type of entity
    • An individual to another to resolve a "cloud" on the title
  • How do I transfer property to a trust?

    Transferring property to a trust is often not difficult and can be completed using a deed transfer. You can use a QuitClaim Deed if there are no known title issues, or a Warranty Deed if you want to ensure there are no issues with the title. If the property is mortgaged, ask your lender what would happen if you transfer the property to a trust. Sometimes you have to pay off the mortgage to transfer the property, especially if the property is not being transferred to a family trust.

  • How do I transfer property to a family member?

    In most cases, you can transfer property to a family member using a Quitclaim Deed or a Warranty Deed. It is not difficult, but there may be tax implications you'll want to explore before you transfer the property. Your accountant can explain possible tax issues such as gift taxes. In some situations, it may even be more beneficial to transfer property to a family trust rather than to one family member. While the actual paperwork to transfer property is simple, you'll want to discuss the topic with an estate lawyer and your accountant before transferring expensive property.

  • How much does it cost to transfer a property title?

    Obtaining a Quitclaim Deed or a Warranty Deed is simple and low-priced. We can provide the initial paperwork as part of your membership. Other expenses may include:

    • Title insurance
    • Filing fee with the local county recorder
    • Notary public fee
    • Lawyer fees, if any (membership provides 40 percent off)

Ask a lawyer

Our network attorneys are here for you.
Characters remaining: 600
Rocket Lawyer Network Attorneys

Legal guides

  1. How to Transfer Property Rights to Family with a Quitclaim Deed
    3 min read
  2. How To Pass Your Home to Your Heirs With Just a Deed
    3 min read
  3. What Is a Vesting Deed? Definition and How It Works
    2 min read
  4. What Is a Warranty Deed vs. a Quitclaim Deed?
    2 min read
  5. Understanding Property Deeds and Your Ownership Rights
    4 min read
  6. How to Transfer Property Rights with a Survivorship Deed
    2 min read
  7. Deeds in Washington State
    4 min read
  8. How To Transfer Real Estate
    3 min read
  9. Using a Grant Deed to Transfer Property Rights
    1 min read
  10. Bargain and Sale Deed in CO, NY, VT, WA and WY
    1 min read
  11. Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure vs. Short Sale
    2 min read
  12. How to Do a Property Title Search for Free
    3 min read
  13. How To Transfer Rental Property to an LLC
    3 min read

Looking for something else?